Finding a good veterinarian for your pet is just as important as finding a good doctor for yourself. Below are some tips on finding a vet who is as compassionate about your pet as you are.
- Ask other pet owners you know and trust for their vet recommendations.
- Make an appointment to visit the facility and meet the veterinarians and staff before taking your pet in for the first appointment.
- Choose a doctor with a personality you are comfortable with.
- If you have exotic pets, ensure that the vet and staff are experienced with the type of pet you have.
- Ask if the veterinarians on staff belong to any professional organizations or are affiliated with local humane societies or shelters.
- Visit the animal care sections where pets stay overnight due to surgery or illness. A good facility will keep this area clean, odor-free, temperature controlled and comfortable at all times.
- Ask if you are allowed to be with your pet during exams or euthanasia procedures.
- Find out if the facility offers emergency services or if they refer patients to other facilities after hours.
- Ask about payment policies. You will want to be familiar with payment options before the first vet visit.